Built in 1934 by the Standard Paving Co., this bridge stands adjacent to a small city park on the north edge of Antlers. The view, above, looking north through the span, gives a good overview of the bridge. It is a state standard design, and very typical of Oklahoma highway bridges built in the mid 1930's. Below, the stampings have been completely worn off this Federal Aid Project plaque.
Above, a side view of the 210-foot long riveted Parker-K through truss. This type of truss had only been in use for 3 years in Oklahoma when this bridge was built. It was a very good design and many were built between 1931 and 1965.
Below, a close view of the portal. You can see the evidence of knee braces that once were in the corners. Judging by the damage along the lower strut, it is a good thing they were removed. Still, with a height of 15'-6", the clearance is quite generous.
Above, close view in the foreground of one of the 100-foot Parker pony spans. The Parker pony span was the most popular highway truss span ever used in Oklahoma. Below, this view shows the mainspan and the two north pony approach spans.
Above, a close view looking through the bridge. The upper chords and endposts are all double-laced. The deck is 24 feet wide between curbs, allowing room for two full-width lanes.
Below, a final view of this 519-foot long structure.
6404 0212 X