Built in 1915, this sturdy 50-foot half-hip Pratt pony truss was made by the Canton Bridge Co., Canton, Ohio; the most prolific documented builder of bridges in Oklahoma.
Above, overview of the span looking north. The road is in a sparsely populated area.
Above, the Canton Bridge Co. plaque. This is the "hip" of a truss bridge, the junction of the upper chord with the inclined end post. The absence of a vertical tension member attached to the hip makes it a half hip.
Below, angled view through the bridge.
Above, detail of the truss. This is a good example of a sturdy, and popular form of bridge design. Note that the original safety railing, made up of angles, is still attached.
Back to Oklahoma Bridges.